Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Well, today is a much better day than yesterday. I had an interesting run in with an angry guy at Smiths. The guy actually pushed me and punched my shoulder. It was very unexpected and random, but it taught me something valuable. I stood up to the guy rather than just walking away. I certainly wasn't going to hit him back, but I wasn't going to just cower away either. I guess the experience taught me that sometimes conflict will happen. I think there's a fine line between being confident and standing up for yourself and violence. It's interesting because I'm sure somehow in this guy's head, he felt the same thing towards me. I did something to him to spark the response I did. Hmmm. I think I will sit today with this. I definitely identify as a pacifist but it's interesting when situations like these arise. In the future I will probably avoid getting upset and rather just communicate to the person that their actions are unacceptable.

Violence begets violence.
Sorrow begets sorrow.
Peace where are you?
Do you whisper the secret to whereabouts?
I think I hear a soft voice say peace starts with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment