Saturday, May 15, 2010

365 Days of Silence and Poetry

365 Days of Silence and Poetry is a brainchild imagined up during my daily meditation. A little background is in order I think. I am David; I am an artist by every definition of the word. I am a singer, a poet, a songwriter, a performer, a painter, a dancer, an actor, and a writer. I firmly believe that each and every person on this planet is born an artist. Somewhere along the way as we grow into adults we lose this knowledge. Go ask a classroom full of 5 year olds how many are artists and you'll see almost every hand shoot up. Ask the same question of a room full of your co-workers and I bet you'll see one hand tops. So, why 365 days of silence and poetry? This blog is a space for me to explore and share a year of meditation and a year of poetry with any readers that are drawn to read my postings. Recently, I took on the practice of spending a half hour when I first wake up and a half hour before I go to bed meditating. I believe that meditation allows us to connect with our higher selves. Meditation (aka Silence) quiets the mental chatter that clutters up our heads on a daily basis and obscures the vision of our higher selves. I have experienced tremendous insights and ideas during my twice daily meditations. Now for the poetry... I will spend the next 365 days writing one poem a day. Up until recently similar to many of my fellow adults, I had forgotten that I was a born writer, I had forgotten that I was a born poet. Thanks to a great deal of help from many sources, I am now stepping back into myself as an artist. I can think of no better way to begin being a writer than to write a poem a day. Each poem will be posted on here, no matter how trite, inane, or brilliant they may be. I can make no guarantees other than that I will write a poem each day. As to the silence, I figure while I'm at it, I'll share an insight or a single thought from each day's meditations. So, my commitment to you my readers is that I will meditate for an hour a day for the next year to provide one thought each day and also write one poem a day to be posted on this blog. I am open to any and all comments and discussion. Now, why am I doing this you may ask? Well... I am by vocation a professional vocal instructor, and by heart an artistic renaissance man. I envision a world where every child is brought up as an artist and creator, where creativity is not only encouraged but revered as a divine expression of who we all are deep inside. I believe unequivocally that all of us despite a vast variety of choices in lifestyle, religion, philosophy, etc are human beings first and foremost with an underlying sameness and connectedness. I hope that others reading my blog will be inspired to re-explore themselves as artists and creators in whatever media entices them. I hope that my insights may help others unblock creatively and own the title of artist and creator. So, a digital toast to art in all forms and to the coming poetry and insights ahead! - David Desormeaux (aka David Drockton)

* On a side note, I've always been fascinated by pen names. Desormeaux is an ancestral name from my Great-Grandmothers family who immigrated to Acadia from France centuries ago. It means of the elms in French and I've always thought it exceptionally beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment