Friday, May 28, 2010

boundaries and selfishness

The more I sit and watch myself, the more I see that I need to leave the considerations and feelings of others out of my equation altogether. They are altogether too mercurial and changeable for me to conform to. Selfishness and internal focus allows one to be more to others. I've been learning lately that honoring others at the expense of my own boundaries drains me and disempowers me. I cannot bend over backwards in enough ways to make other people happy. I think this is one of the worse disservices that our parents can do to us: stamp out our individuality. We are each born a whole person with a separate set of preferences and desires. We did not come here to please anyone else, just ourselves. Meditation has shown me that my people pleasing tendencies learned as a child no longer serve me. It will be interesting to see what shifts as I assert my boundaries...

As for the poem today, I decided on writing a limerick. I always loved writing these in elementary school....

There once was a wild young child
Who longed to be free and wild.
But his father said no
Or to the orphanage you'll go
So he thought I'd better stick to mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment