Monday, May 31, 2010

Who am I ?

I looked and thought perhaps I'm the qualities with which I label myself. No, too contradictory. Perhaps I am the sum of my possessions and accolades. But again, a resounding no. Too impersonal and external. Ok, maybe I'm my past then. Now that seems to be true. I could even argue quite convincingly that my past made me who I am today. Hmmm. It seems so true and inevitable doesn't it. The confusing thing is for most of us, it is true. We are going around living our past in the present and projecting it into the future. Yet, it's so limiting isn't it? If I am truly an immortal soul or piece of infinite intelligence embodied in physical form, that would seem far too constraining. Possibilities and opportunities of expansion would only occur within a very limited framework and view of reality. So, what am I left with? The eternal me. The physical me is not who I really am. It's like a mask I have decided to wear for a short act of a play. It seems real from audience perspective, but after the play is over it's tossed aside into the pile of other masks to never be used again by me. I like the idea of infinite possibility; I like the notion that I get to choose the entire framework that I stand on in this reality. If I don't like a certain theme or motif, I get to re-write the story. Pretty cool huh?

Rushing feathers alight on the pond.
But such power is stilled quickly.
Serenely you glide across the glass.
No one is aware of the struggle.
The observer sees only your elegance.
Below the surface a struggle to live
Paddling for dear life against the downward pull.
Nothing comes without a price.
Grace isn't a given, but it may be achieved
Like you swan we must learn to be graceful in the face of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment