Sunday, May 30, 2010

Being yourself in every moment

So, last night I did something that I haven't done in 3 years: I got up and did an hour set of my original music and several covers. What showed up for me was fear, anxiety, and nervousness. What I discovered is that I could choose these emotions and bring them into my performance. It was a profound realization. It made me think about the rest of my life. How often do I fight my own emotions and try to pretend I'm feeling something else? Anger becomes being "ok," anxious becomes a show of bravado. I realized that my access to power in each moment is to choose to express whatever I'm feeling authentically. So, I gave a show from being nervous, anxious, and fearful. It was amazing! I have never felt that vulnerable and self-expressed as a performer. I think we waste so much energy trying to fight what we feel or pretend it's not there. I say bring on the good and bad and ugly emotions. My anger will lead to release and thus hope. My pettiness will lead to revenge and action and finally forgiveness. I fully choose to own my shadow self.

I choose to be me
I choose to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment