Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What I discovered for myself about sexual energies...

I wanted to share the insight I had a while back about why we are sexual beings. I'm not presenting this as universal truth, but rather truth for me gained through reflection and meditation. Why do we have the sexual impulse? We are different from animals in the sense that we can and do have sex for pleasure. In order to better understand these energies for myself, I completely abstained from anything sexual for 2 weeks. I had an incredible realization bubble up as a result. What I learned is that society tends to bombard us with unrealistic and unattainable images that cause us to find fault with our marvelous temples (bodies.) We begin to attach longing and self-loathing to the unattainable image. I haven't met very many people that are happy in their own skin. Everyone wants to be thinner, smoother, tanner, more symmetrical, etc. What if we all saw ourselves as beautiful, desirable, and perfect? It's an interesting thought. Now, how these images attach into sex has to do with the tendency of the mind to fantasize. What I learned while abstaining was that fantasy disconnects me from the real. It disconnects me from appreciating myself and my body as well as that of my lover. Suddenly, it became clear to me that sex was meant to be a way of showing appreciation and love to he/she whom we love. Sex can be an act that recognizes the divinity in another as well as ourself. How did we get railroaded off to the path we're on now? I'll leave that for another day... Knowing this has changed not only my relationship with me, but also my future relationship with him whom I will love. I'm very grateful that the Ringing Cedars series triggered this desire to reflect. The payoff has been tremendous.

If you cannot see God in everything upon the Earth, you have never and will never see God.

No comments:

Post a Comment