Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A case for selfishness?

I am in the process of doing an amazing self-led course that teaches one to love oneself more. I found it interesting reading about selfishness today. I had the realization that I tend to be someone that puts the needs and wants of others before my own. It's interesting. I think it's why I get to a boiling point with people sometimes. If I had just said what was on my mind to begin with, I wouldn't feel put out or irritated. I also had the realization that I tend towards unhealthy dynamics from time to time in friendships. I actually can see that one friendship in particular has become a bit entangled and codependent. I've learned that my part in this has been just going with it. I'm responsible for not speaking up before hand even though it may have hurt feelings or even angered this person. So, I feel like I want to make a commitment today to make this new mode of being more real for me. I commit to speaking my truth even in the face of disapproval, hurt, and anger. I commit to honoring my own boundaries with others. I realize that it's not their job to know them, it's my job to articulate them. I commit to putting my needs, wants, and desires before those of others. I commit to maintaining healthy boundaries and honoring the boundaries of others after my own. I commit to authenticity in my interactions with others. I commit to loving myself and exploring being alone. I commit to reveling in being alone. Also, I commit to communicating what's been on my mind to the friend whom I've not been 100% straight with. I know that when these things are voiced, it may end the friendship. I'm prepared for that. If being in integrity and honoring myself results in her being hurt or upset, there is nothing I can do to control that. Really, the case for selfishness can be made on the fact that we can't control how others are anyways. We might as well just focus on ourselves!

I want to rip into you,
Tear you apart.
But I'd only be killing a mirage.
My idea of you isn't you.
Nor your idea of me.
Violence of words serves no point.
I can just let you be what you are.
I can let go of the need to control.
Time to stay to my side of the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment