Saturday, June 26, 2010

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

A weird thought to be having first thing in the morning but there it is. I was sitting on the bus on my way to teach and this bubbled into my head as I watched a transgendered person get off the bus. I'm not saying that I looked at this person as a sinner, rather I had a sudden insight into perhaps what Jesus meant by this. I drew it back to the Abraham Hicks teachings. I believe what Jesus meant in this case as he confronted the men about to stone an adulteress was that we shouldn't push against the unwanted or undesirable. I begun thinking about the whole gay rights movement and the other side of the argument. Jesus' advice is even more pertinent today. Me personally? I think people should be self-expressed, whatever that means. I thought how many in this conservative state would be upset by the idea of a transgendered person. Like the stone wielding mob, they desire to "kill" (metaphorically speaking) anything that doesn't fit into their concept of "right" and "wrong." We all do it to a certain extent! I find myself making others wrong and judging all the time. Granted, I haven't been heating up my tar and feathers, but still in my head I make these little judgements and criticisms. I think Jesus was trying to remind us to see the humanity in everyone around us rather than our differences. We all are human. We all make "mistakes." (I use quotes because I don't really know if there is such a thing as a mistake anyways. There are things we do and things we don't do.) If we all stopped pushing so hard against the things we didn't want and allowed the world to be the varied and diverse place it is, perhaps the world would at last know peace. It's an interesting thought, no?

Let me be me.
I'll let you be you.
There's really nothing else I can do.
Pushing against you only makes me weak.
And I need all my strength to live my own life.
What if the world just was?
What if life didn't need to be a certain way?
What if I were more concerned with being me than being right?
I suppose I could give up being good too.
Who decided what good even is?
Obviously they never walked in my shoes.
Not even one step.
So, I'll let others duke it out.
I can smile and relax in the fact that I am me.
They are them.
They are the way they are because they are the way they are.
I am the way I am because I am the way I am.
None of us could be otherwise or we wouldn't be who we are.
Time to turn that verbal sword into a plowshare.

No comments:

Post a Comment