Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Love and Romance

Today I had an interesting thought come up about romance and love. I think we have some interesting extremes at play in our society at the moment. On the one hand you have people preaching monogamy and commitment, on the other you have people absolutely opposed to commitment. I wonder about this sometimes. Love is such a personal thing. It's experiential. It's not something that can be recreated in words. Who's to say love has the limitations or requirements we put on it? Love could just BE. This got me thinking about how over-sexualized our culture is on the one hand and on the other so against sex. It's a war of images and philosophies. I find it interesting that our marketing, advertising, and film are filled with sexual images while at the same time we push so hard against "immorality." The same people preaching watch TV. For me there has to be a solution that is both personal and transcends this conflict. I can say the crazy non-committed life is not for me, but yet I can also say I don't know if I ever would want to be married either. Reading Osho's book about love really shifted some things for me. He talks about love only existing till it doesn't anymore. You can never know when love will simply not be there anymore. Interesting no? I think for me I would love with abandon and without limits while I love. I would love without rules, borders, or limits. I would love like a stranger to the ways of the world. I would love in David's own way.

If I'm not living in my body and temple
Then I'm not fully alive.
I can choose to judge it, to criticize.
Or perhaps praise and encouragement are best.
I can choose to follow the crowd and adopt their tastes.
Or could I blaze my own path through the forest?
Is it wrong to see the perfection in my imperfection?
I think not. Thoughts are fleeting so why not choose those that feel best.

No comments:

Post a Comment