Saturday, July 17, 2010

The intricate modern world

I have heard a lot about getting back to simplicity lately. I thought about this. I understand the utopian ideal and that subconscious desire to return to the "garden of eden" so to speak. What I wonder though is if we can be there even amidst the crazy modern world? Meditation seems to me to be a very valid option to get there. Human evolution has happened the way it has, and really it isn't possible to go back. Many of the modern conveniences are wonderful. I for one am happy that I can hop on a plane next month and see my friend Thomas. It's an interesting conundrum. In many ways life is much crazier than it has ever been, but in many ways I think we have more options for happiness than we have ever had before. I mean, in the past people had way fewer choices than we do today. I can choose to follow whatever spiritual path I want. Can you imagine deciding to be an Atheist during the Middle Ages? Ha. That would not have gone over well. I guess I'll just keep meditating and enjoying the wonders of the modern world. After all, if we focus on the positive we're more likely to attract that.

Pain, real and present pricks at my heart.
I can feel a visceral sensation in my guts.
It's like they are about to tear themselves inside out.
I feel the air knocked out of my chest.
What is this? Who would have known shame could feel this awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment